Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wonder


Wonder by R.J. Palacio is a rare gem. It's going on my list of favorite books for its message and its simplicity. What a simple book, and yet so profound. It's about a boy who has a genetic disorder that affects how his face looks. The story itself is great. The writing is wonderful. It's juvenile fiction, which makes it even more beautiful. It's a hard task to write a book that appeals to children and also adults. It'd also make a great book for book clubs (youth or adult).

I will be reading this book aloud to my children very soon. While your kids could certainly read it on their own, it's a great read-a-loud. The chapters are super short, most a page or two. And there is usually something in every chapter that would make for great discussion with kids. I'd say this book is for 2nd graders and up. Themes of the book are bullying, popularity, and kindness to those on the social fringe.

One thing I love about this book is how the children treat their parents. So many books and television shows these days show negative interactions. Kids lying to their parents. Not telling them hard things that happen to them. Ignoring the parents advice. Kids being sulky and rude and sassy to their parents. This book is fantastic because it's just the opposite. The kids in this book treat their parents with respect and honor them. They talk to them and even confess wrongs to them. I am thankful that my kids get to see a good example.

I think everyone should read this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment