Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Forgotten Garden


There are many things I love about Kate Morton's book, The Forgotten Garden. Besides a great story, the narration in this book is wonderful. It is an omniscient narrator who goes between three different main characters in three different time periods: the early 1900s, 1970s, and then 2005. Although the narrator is omniscient, information is disclosed in a great way. The reader gets the information as the characters in the book. This book threads the past and present beautifully and effortlessly. Many books I've read that go between time periods and characters are confusing. Or take a while to catch on; not so with The Forgotten Garden. Morton uncomplicatedly tells a beautiful story about a four year old little girl who gets left on a ship dock. There are journal entries, notes, and interviews that make the telling of this story east to follow and believable.

I would highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading the Distant Hours- I'm loving Kate Morton- can't wait to try this one. Keep them coming Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put it in my library queue. Can't wait!

      Delete