Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Angela's Ashes


Since I really enjoyed the book The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein, I decided to try Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. It got great reviews and it has a similar story and feel to The Invisible Wall. It's a memoir about an impoverished Irish boy growing up Catholic in the 1930s and 1940s. His father struggled with alcoholism and his mother struggled to feed her children while trying to stave off the grief of losing many of her children to consumption.

It started out really well. Then it got to the middle of the book where it got slow and McCourt gave so many details and stories that didn't help move along his life and were repetitive. I enjoyed the voice that he wrote from - it was interesting and artistic; I decided to press on until I could press on no longer. I gave up about 3/4 of the way through. I put the book down for a month then decided last night to pick it back up again to see if I could finish it and found that I couldn't. The stories of his life were interesting enough, but too many and similar to keep me interested.







No comments:

Post a Comment