Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Kindness of Strangers


Yikes. I have a lot to say about this book. I'll boil it down to this:

  • Shockingly sad. The story is about a little boy who gets abused and molested. If you don't like reading about this kind of thing, stay away from this book.

  • Graphic. This kind of goes along with sad, but the subject is just graphic at times. There are some books with this theme of abuse and it's not as graphic, so it's easier to read. This is NOT that book. If you can't handle graphic details, don't read it.

  • Window. The book is an interesting window into the life of a child who is abused. Although this book is fiction (thankfully), you feel like it is real. The actions, thoughts, and words given by the social workers, the abusers, and the little boy himself make you feel like you are reading a memoir. Some people's lives really are this tragic and reading this book has made me gain more perspective with abuse. It was good for me to see how others interact with such horror. Some people chose indignation. Others chose to try to redeem.

  • Though provoking. How would I react if a case of abuse were discovered in my backyard (figuratively)? Would I know signs of abuse in a child? How can I protect my children?

  • Ending. I didn't love it. I didn't even like it. The whole book was a messy, up and down way to a happily ever after (which thankfully the book does have and quite frankly needed after such horror). However, Kittle wraps up the happily ever after too quickly and too neatly and too nicely. I felt like the book should have been finished a chapter earlier.



No comments:

Post a Comment