Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Bean Trees


The story line of this book had so much potential. A young woman just barely an adult is given a baby at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant as the woman is passing through a town. The baby has no papers, no birth certificate, no social security number. It's about this womans' life and how she survives since she has no job, no money, no place to live.

The writing in The Bean Trees was flat. There were two main characters/narrators and I kept waiting to connect to them and be able to hear their voices. That never happened. Even the character who was written in 1st person didn't really have a voice. Even though I didn't really love it, I wanted to finish it. Not because it was good, but just because I wanted to see where Kingsolver was going with it. And I do love books where the lives of two people who are so different from one another intersect.

I ended up putting this down because life got busy. Then when I went to pick it back up, I lost the desire to see what happens. So, this is a book fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment