Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Land More Kind Than Home


This is Wiley Cash's debut novel. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I think debut novels are the best. The Help. The Secret Life of Bees. The Light Between Oceans. Wonder. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyRules of Civility. Bastard Out of Carolina. Still Alice. 

That's enough debut novel love.

I love the voices in this novel. I love how the character development is so rich (perhaps because I live in North Carolina?! Would love to test that theory) that even though there are three narrators and they all live in the NC mountains, I still mentally have different voices for them all. I hear them differently. There is a young boy, an older sheriff, and an even older midwife. Of course I hear their voices differently since one is female, one is a boy, and the other an older male. But more than that, I hear their accents differently. Their nuances that make them unique.

I love the story. It's back country goodness. It's snake handling religion goodness. It's manslaughter, poverty, addiction, and a lot of I-hope-they-catch-the-guy. The story is slow and steady, but not to be confused with boring. It's not a mystery since we all know who done it. It's more a question of will he/they get caught and how. Will the church responsible for the atrocity be shut down.

I highly recommend this book. It was well written, interesting plot, great character development, and a unique topic. And of course, super fun since it's set in NC and I live in NC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment