Monday, April 15, 2013

Calling Me Home


Calling Me Home is a page turner of a book. When I first started the novel, I thought that maybe it wasn't going to be well written because the conversations and voices were a little too cliche, but I was pleasantly surprised as I continued reading. It's actually a great book. The narration is very unique and interesting. But let me back up.

The story is a good one. It is about a 89-year-old white woman, Isabelle who asked her 30-something black hairdresser, Dorrie to drive her across several states to a funeral. The chapters go back and forth from present day on the road trip where Dorrie's life seems to be falling apart as they drive to the 1940s where Isabelle's life is unfolding.

Like I said before, the narration is unique. Dorrie is the narrator, but she only really narrates every other chapter. The chapters she's not narrating are quasi narrated by Isabelle when she was a young woman.The unfolding of Isabelle's story is so well done and compelling.  The book doesn't feel like it's narrated by two different people though. It flows so well that you don't notice. Because Isabelle is telling her tragic story little by little, there is great suspense built as the author cuts back to present day at a pivotal point.

What I love about this book is that while the most compelling story line is Isabelle's (she fell in love with the son of her black maid - all but illegal in the south in the 1940s), Dorrie's story line is also interesting. I enjoyed reading about how the past of one person's can alter the future of someone else.

I highly recommend this book. It's a quick and easy read with surprises along the way. And a sweet story of race relations and reconciliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment