Thursday, February 28, 2013

Things I Want My Daughters to Know


One of my dearest friends gave this book to me as a birthday present. Things I Want My Daughters to Know is about a mom who writes letters to her four girls to help them navigate through life as she dies.

I liked the concept of this book since I have 4 daughters (but hopefully won't get cancer and die young). I was inspired to write more letters to my girls.

While the book is about a mom who dies, the story is more about the daughter's lives and how they each have a problem that the mother speaks to from the grave. She writes a journal for her girls to read after she has died and this journal helps navigate their commitment issues, poor marriage, and the urge to continue to run away.

There are things I liked about this book and things I didn't. It was written well enough. The characters are very interesting and that is what keeps you engaged in the book. It does feel like Noble put in everything she could possibly think of - which got a bit excessive. Some plots she could have left out and it would not have done the book a disservice. The sexuality in this book is a bit much. Perhaps it's realistic in the world of low morals, but I found it to be sad.

The book ended well and in this kind of a book, that's good. For those who like character analysis, this is a good book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment