Thursday, December 6, 2012

Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs



I am a sucker for a good memoir/auto-biography. I heard about this one on either tv or npr and knew immediately that I wanted to read it. The Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS) has been in the news the past several years, but I've been so busy birthing babies and homeschooling, I haven't had time to research it. Enter this book and my renewed sadness for oppressed women. Elissa Wall was a girl in the FLDS and was married off at the age of 14, against her will. She was then abused by her husband for almost 3 years, before she decided to break out of the polygamous sect, FLDS.

 This book has it all - sex, religion, politics, suspense, drama, joy, and sadness. It opened my eyes to the sadness that takes place in our wonderful and free country. I was shocked that there is still such oppression on such a basic level. The lack of education, the forced marriages, and the disregard for women. I would definitely recommend Stolen Innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment