Monday, December 31, 2012

Gone Girl


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Let's start with what I didn't like:

The ending. Well, I liked the ending, then I also didn't.  I love messy endings. This one is messy, but perhaps a bit too much? I like when books leave it up to the readers imagination to figure some things out. But, this one goes too far for even me. It's an unexpected ending and not in a good way.

Another thing the book has going against it is the crudeness. This book is rated R for language and sexuality. For those reasons alone, I can't say I'd recommend this book to anyone. It's too much and too crude. And very dark and disturbing. I'll say this: if you really enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, you will enjoy this book. Similar dark themes and depravity. But with more bad language. A lot more.

No redemption. I can handle some rated R things if there is redemption at the end. I can't think of anything redemptive in this book.

Here's what I did like:

If it weren't for the crudeness, I'd like the book as a whole. The story itself is good. Perhaps too dark and sinister especially towards the end, but good.

It's not too predictable. A little predictable, but there are definitely twists and turns you would never have suspected.

Flynn writes it well and the narration is interesting. I enjoy books with more than one narrator and this one in that sense didn't disappoint. The writing itself is good, despite its darkness and depravity.




No comments:

Post a Comment