Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Crossed


Crossed is the second in the Matched series, by Ally Condie. While Matched was definitely better, this one was okay. I read it quickly and considering I have 4 kids and a sick husband, that means it was good enough.

The story moved a little slower than I would have liked. There didn't seem to be as much description that was needed to set up scenes. When a main-ish character dies off halfway through the book, I didn't really care. SPOILER ALERT...when the main characters get separated at the end of the book, I didn't care.

I just don't really care about Ky or Cassie in Crossed. While Matched made me care and love the characters, Crossed did not. I feel like the writing got worse. The story stalled. And the emotional connection that was obtained in Matched was lost.

In all the other dystopian trilogies I've read, the second one in the series is the best. I'm hoping this is the worst and the last in the series Reached brings be back to loving the series.

On another note - this series so far has been great to let my 8 year-old read. There's no language, no sex, little violence. Although, I'm in trouble if the last book is inappropriate. I'll have to invest in some post it notes and censor the parts I don't want her to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment