Tuesday, December 9, 2014

No Country for Old Men


I really liked The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Interesting characters, story, and writing. I decided to read No Country For Old Men. Yikes. This is one of the most violent books I've read in a while. And not redemptive.

It's about a man who comes across a drug deal gone wrong and he ends up taking the money that's left behind. From then on, he's a hunted man by multiple parties to try to recover the money.

On the surface, this book is just about a drug deal. But, going deeper it's about sin, temptation, sociopaths, and making right choices.

I'm not sure what I think about this book. It's not as good as The Road. It's not a book I'd recommend. It's not one I'd go see the movie adaptation. It was fine. A quick read, but I was left disappointed in the end, which is obviously where McCarthy wants you to be. It's just not a comfortable place to be given the topic of the book.

I left this book feeling hopeless and angry, which I don't like to feel. So, I can't give this one a great review.


No comments:

Post a Comment