Monday, December 29, 2014

A House in the Sky


When I first started reading this book, I thought it was fiction that read like a memoir. Then I realized that this sounds too real to be made up; it is in fact a memoir. A haunting one. It's an amazing story of depravity and hope. The novel is one big juxtaposition.

Amanda and her friend get kidnapped by an extremist Islamic group in Somalia. She is in captivity for a long time and this book is her telling of the story. It is one that will stay with me for a long time and I think is a must read for everyone. It will open your eyes to the world. To terrorism. To the ethics of paying ransoms or not. To many other things that are just too complicated to even mention on a blog. Not many memoirs have me googling the author. This one I did immediately. I even stalked her Instagram. Crazy, right? And once you read it, you'll find out why I became a crazy stalker.


No comments:

Post a Comment