Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Other Boleyn Girl


I have heard a ton about Philippa Gregory. The first novel of hers I read, The White Queenleft a lot to be desired. Since The Other Boleyn Girl is the book I continue to hear about, I decided to take another chance...and it was worth it. It is very well written. Gregory has written very good transitions between fact and fiction. I learned a lot about the era and about the Boleyn's without even knowing I was learning history. It was a book that was difficult to put down and sad when it ended.

However...the book is very racy, so reader beware. Usually one thinks of Victorian/Tudor England as modest; but in reality, it was anything but. The sexual details in this book are quite bold. Not too much, but close.

The Other Boleyn Girl has redeemed this author for me and while I can't say that I'll definitely read more of her work, I enjoyed this one a lot and maybe once I get through my very long "to read" list, another Philippa Gregory might be just the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment