Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The White Queen


Not believable. That's what this book is. It's historical fiction and apparently it's supposed to be more fact than fiction in this novel by Philippa Gregory. Which is why I was thrown off (and put off) by the witchcraft in the book. I don't mind books with witches in them (especially because of the fear and popular notion of witchcraft during this time era), but when they can make storms come and mist appear, it moves from interesting to stupid...quickly. If she had left those parts out, the book would be commendable.

Other than that, The White Queen was an okay book. It kept my attention and I learned a lot about the War of the Roses. I enjoyed that there wasn't a character that I loved fully. I both hated and loved most of them, which seems very authentic of royals in that time who are fighting, manipulating, and turn-coating for the throne.

I can't say I'd recommend this book and I certainly won't be reading her sequals to this series, but I will read The Other Boleyn Girl. I've heard that is excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment