Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.


The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. was a good book. It is probably best read in person than on audio CD. I listened this on audio over a span of about 4 weeks and each time I was never truly compelled to get back into it. That could be because it was read to me, or it could be the book itself...just not interesting enough. It's just a book about life. It's an honest novel about friends, marriage, and motherhood. Which is usually pretty mundane and very every day...so perhaps that's why the novel is not compelling.

But I did finish and I'm glad I did. It was a good book. I liked the honesty of the women in the book. I enjoyed reading about their lives filled with sacrifice and their desires to find their worth, finding the balance between being a mother and working outside the home.

The book is about Kate, a woman who was left a trunk of Elizabeth's (her friend) journals to read after Elizabeth's sudden death. Kate learns about Elizabeth's life and her depression and struggle in her marriage and motherhood in the journals. What I appreciate is the portrayal that although marriage is sometimes hard, love is a commitment. That life as a mother isn't always Pollyanna and that's okay. And that sometimes you don't really know a person that you think you know.

Even though the book was good, I was happy when it finally ended. It was a good reminder that life can be shorter than you think. "And how you left things just before the final moment, that was how they would remain."

No comments:

Post a Comment