Wednesday, December 18, 2013

East


This is not the kind of book I gravitate toward. It's basically a fairy tale. There are trolls, a Troll Queen, enchantment, ice palaces, and more. While it was a good story and it was a quick read, I wouldn't say it's a must read unless you really like reading fairy tales.

However, I did give it to my 9-year-old girl to read. Boys would also enjoy it though. The reading level is high enough for my daughter (it will challenge her a bit because of the names of places and people!), but the material is appropriate for her. There are still some heavy topics in this book (slavery, kidnapping, murder, people tossed overboard in a storm and dying, witchcraft), but no more than a traditional fairy tale. And told in a non-detailed kind of way.

Overall, I enjoyed the book enough to not regret reading it and may recommend it to certain people or if you are looking for a very light read. If you have kids, I would recommend them to read it. I have a feeling that it would be a childhood favorite.

Otherwise, skip it and move on to a more adult book.

No comments:

Post a Comment