Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Unsouled


The Unwind and Unwholly series are great books. Unsouled is the third one. Reader beware: there are four in the series, not the typical trilogy. And while a critique may be that Unsouled seems drawn out, I reserve judgment until the last book is out. It's not quite fair to judge it yet bases only on that. Hopefully what seems stretched out and added just to make the book longer and turn it into a fourth book is just setting up the last book.

I did feel like the characters got old toward the end of the book. I was just a bit tired of the story, setting, and characters. In contrast, I never tired or got bored of the Divergent characters.

I like the questions created and discussed in this book. Shusterman brought in more philosophical arguments and reasoning in this books than in the others.

While I wouldn't say it's bad, I might call it forgettable. I do feel like Shusterman was trying so hard for character development and reconnection with the characters that all the scenes in the book are a little too long. It feels like he added every thing he could. And much of it doesn't seem to further the plot. But I could be wrong. I think with the movie rights already sold that he's starting to write for a movie and not just the book. Which makes the characters seem less authentic.

The book has a lot of Snarky leading the stork army. A lot of Lev and Connor on a reservation. Really a lot of hiding from the authorities. More background and interaction with the people who invented the technology to unwind which is probably the most interesting thing in there.

Overall, it was a quick read. While reading it, I loved it. Afterwards, it was just okay. But still worth the read and hopefully the last book will pull it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment