Monday, August 12, 2013

The Silver Star


This was a highly anticipated book for me. I loved some of Walls other books - The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses in particular. Amazing memoirs. So well written and compelling. I was so intrigued to read some fiction from her since her memoir was so good.

This book is a page turner for sure. However, it's just okay. I'd give it a 3 out of a 5. Maybe a 3.5 if I've had some chocolate and wine and am feeling generous.

It has loads of potential but just not pulled off as well as I expected. The story was not fleshed out as well as it could have been. I can see how her past has influenced her fiction though and that's interesting. It's a fine story but one of those that makes you want to root for evil and makes morality ambiguous. The bad guy certainly deserved punishment. Justice certainly needed to take place. SPOILER ALERT!!! I felt happy that the bad guy got more than he deserved. That's just not justice. Too much punishment is just as bad as not enough. There's a venue for justice to happen and while I get that the courts messed it up, that doesn't mean people can take it into their own hands.

This book is great for book clubs though. And I'm glad I read it. And I'd even recommend it. I was just disappointed with Walls execution of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment