Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Shunning, The Confession, The Reckoning


Oh, Christian fiction. How I don't love you. I was given The Shunning and it sounded so interesting. I love learning about the Amish. And since I don't tend to learn much about the book or author before I read it, I didn't know it was Christian fiction. The Shunning is not as blatant than the other two books in the series, The Confession and The Reckoning. Those books basically try to save the reader. It presents the gospel about ten times throughout both books. Don't get me wrong. I love the gospel. I love Jesus. I love that He changes lives. But I don't want to read about it in my fiction. Give me an Amish girl who gets saved in real life, I'd read about it any time.

As far as the actual writing, plot, and characters go, Lewis does an okay job. The characters are very well developed. The plot is predictable. Really, the only reason I even read the other books was to confirm that I knew exactly what and how it was going to happen. So, no twists or unexpected turns in this series, although I imagine Lewis would say there are. But to the well read, it's overly predictable.

Here's another hint that these books may not be worth reading (unless you really like Christian fiction): The Shunning was made into a Hallmark movie. And yes. sadly I watched it.




No comments:

Post a Comment