Sunday, April 5, 2015

River Secrets


This is another YA novel in one of Shannon Hale's series. Once again, I read it to make sure it's appropriate for my 4th grader. Although there is lots of talk about violence and some romance, there's nothing I deemed inappropriate for her. I was on the fence about it though since the themes are more mature. Ultimately, one of the reasons I love Hale is that her books are an in between of traditional YA and Juvenile Fiction. It's not as graphic and mature as The Hunger Games, but it's no Percy Jackson either.

The war between Tira and Bayern is over and in an effort at promoting peace, ambassadors were exchanged from both countries. Tira did not accept the Bayern as well as hoped for and there is an attempt at a coop and a restart of the war. Each one of Hale's novels has most of the same main characters in them, but they all focus on one of the characters in depth. This one is about Razo and why he is valuable to the Bayern army when he's so physically weak and small.

The story was great and believable. I enjoyed this one as much as the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment