Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Ransom of Mercy Carter


This is an extraordinary little book. It's a historical fiction about a girl named Mercy Carter, among others, and how she was kidnapped by the Canadian Indians in the early 1700s. The writing was no-nonsense, non fluff, tell it like it is. Which I really appreciated. I loved the simplicity of the telling of this horrendous story.

There's not much character development, but it's an interesting peek into the life of English-French-Indian relations in the early 1700s and I highly recommend it to anyone! It's a bit violent, so probably not appropriate for young elementary kids, but there's no language, sex, or anything else that would cause concern for letting a mature kid read it. I think I'll let my 4th grader read it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment