Saturday, January 24, 2015

Eleanor and Park


I read this Young Adult book because I loved Attachments by the same author.

The plot: Eleanor is a girl in an abusive family. Park is a cool kid who's actually cool (you know, thinks drugs are stupid and doesn't care what others think about anything). It's the story of their animosity turned friendship turned romantic.

Here's the harsh:

1. I didn't like high school. So I didn't like reliving it in this book. I could see how if you are a teenager you might like this book. But as an adult or an even moderately mature high schooler, this book is too dumb.
2. I go crazy when characters don't communicate when they should. When they stay silent and get misunderstood instead of speak up and things become clear. This happens a lot in this book. Drove me crazy and not in a good way.

Here's the not-so-harsh:

The characters were great. I loved the complexity of them. The plot was actually good. However, this book would make a better movie than book. And I heard that's going to happen.

Overall, the book was okay, but misses the mark as a YA novel I have (think Fault in Our Stars).

No comments:

Post a Comment