Monday, July 14, 2014

The Housemaid's Daughter


I really wanted to love this book just because of the format. When I saw that the Madam's diary had a role in the novel, I thought it would be wonderful. It had such potential and I was let down, although it did get good reviews from Goodreads and Amazon.

It's about a white family in South Africa and how the housemaid's daughter gets intermingled with the family. A dangerous thing to do since it's during the period where Apartheid began.

The story itself was great. The writing was not. The book was slow, the author was redundant, and the housemaid's voice was not captured well. I think Mutch wanted the voice of the servant to sound naive, but she just came across as dumb and I felt insulted by the redundancy of her words.

Overall, I'd give this a 2.5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment