Monday, July 15, 2013

The Woman Upstairs


What a strange book. It's definitely for those who love literature. Claire Messud is a New York Times best selling author and after reading this book, I can see why. It's literature. It's artistic. It's beautifully written and the vocabulary is amazing. It reads sort of like poetry at times (but readable and understandable!). It's a highly intelligent novel and Messud paints pictures with her words of not only things, but emotions and thoughts.

But it's a weird book. Over half-way through and I still didn't know where the book was headed. What the point was. Even what the plot was. Is that good or bad? Perhaps if I were a more introspective person I'd get it?

The book was told through what I'd call conversational narration. Nora Eldridge is a single 37-year-old 3rd grade teacher who describes herself as "the woman upstairs". This woman has tried to be all things to all people, getting approval by denying herself.  She thinks she's independent, but as she invests herself fully and completely in a friendship with the mom and dad of one of her classroom kids, she realizes the woman upstairs isn't actually a happy one.

I get the sense that the author is trying to be edgy in her view of women and their identities. But in the midst of trying to pull that off, her main character, Nora, just comes across as insecure. Overall, I'd put this novel in the camp of feminist literature.

If you are interested in reading this book, it's helpful to know what it's about. Read some reviews and see what literature buffs think the book is about. Because even after finishing it, I still feel like I need to go read reviews to see what it was really about.

No comments:

Post a Comment