Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fly Away


This is one of many novels by Kristin Hannah, a new-to-me author that I think I've fallen in love with. Her writing is so interesting and well done. The plot of Fly Away is compelling. Heavy themes, but a light read. The characters are frustrating and endearing. I love them and hate them - a sign of a good novel to me.

I don't think I have anything bad to say about this book. It's a wonderful story of redemption and friendship. How you can't judge one's current actions without judging their past.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have one thing to say that can either be negative or positive, depending on your personality and preferences. The novel reads a little bit like a Hallmark movie. Do you know what I mean? It's the classic outline for one. Meet the sweet characters. There's a dying mom. There's a teenager full of angst and a newly single dad trying to parent her through the grief. Then comes the conflict. Teenager goes wild. The mom's best friend becomes an addict. But the ending turns out well. Wraps relationships up nicely. Maybe that's what I mean about a Hallmark movie. The book is full of conflict that ends up all fine. I'm not giving away anything though - I knew all would end well as I was reading the book. A little cheesy. Because it's destined to be a Hallmark movie.

All that to say, if you like books that have lots of broken relationships that make you mad, but then all ends well - this is a good book for you. It's an easy read. And because it was written well with interesting narration, I'll read some of Hannah's other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment