Saturday, June 22, 2013

Three Sisters


I enjoyed this book a lot. It's a story about three houses owned by three different women. There's a lot about marriage (and the importance of fighting for difficult ones), community, identity, loss, grief, parenthood, control issues, mental illness (and how denial can ravage a family), abuse, female friendships, perfectionism, and so much more. And while that's a lot to put into a book, Susan Mallery did them justice.

There's really only one complaint I have: it's rated R for some sex scenes. I prefer innuendos rather than details. I don't care to hear about someone else's sex life, thank you very much. And this book in particular was too provocative for someone who prefers innuendos.

One of my favorite things about this book is the psychology in the book. I'm a psych major, so I love it when novels have some psychology in them that isn't quacky. I love how Mallery wrote about the three women and how their houses reflected their personalities and issues. One house was perfect. That owner struggled with perfection and looking all put together. Another woman was really artsy, so her house was artistic. And the last woman was a mess and a work in progress due to being left at the altar. Her house was under construction and a mess all throughout the book.

This would make a great book club book as there are lots of issues and things to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment