Saturday, September 22, 2012

Year of Wonders


I loved this book. It had romance. It had tragedy (I mean, it's a fictional account of the Plague...just about everyone dies). It had witches. It had religious controversy. Geraldine Brooks may have struck out on People of the Book, but hit a home run with both March and this one.

I devoured this book. I couldn't put it down. Here's the story line:

All the people in a country village decide to take a pledge to stay in town when the plague strikes, so as not to spread it more.

It's an amazing book that I think I'll recommend for book club next year...mainly because I want to discuss the ending with people. I'm not sure if I liked it.

The more I read, the more I realize that the ending of a book is the hardest part. 

I'm pretty sure this book ended the only way it could have, but it was just so strange that I'm not sure if I liked it. In any case, it's a great book. And where it not for the odd ending, would have made my list of favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment