Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Falling



This book has very mixed reviews. It is about a woman, Emma, who moves away from her family in England and worked in banking for 5 years. She was ready to get out of the rat race, so she moved to a small community and tried to find her self. She ended up falling for her landlord, who fell for her back.

First, let me talk about the characters. They were good, but archetypes. But at lease I cared about them. I felt something for all of them, either love or disdain. I enjoyed some of the quirks Jane Green wrote into them, however she tries too much to be relevant with her characters. While the point I'm sure was to relate, I just found myself bored and passing judgement on them. Emma was overly dramatic about life which made her obnoxious.

Second, the writing. It was straightforward and not at all interesting. She tried too hard to throw in every type of modern cultural reference. Ie. Tinder. Facebook. Etc. Nothing much happens the whole book until the last few pages.


Third and lastly, the end. There is a great twist at the end, but getting to the end was a tiny bit boring. And while it certainly makes for a shock, it's not what you want to happen. I love a sad ending, but this one was too much. Maybe it was my state of mind, but I wish the ending was different. But, alas Jane Green wanted it to end in drama and she certainly succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment