Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My Heart and Other Black Holes


This book was on a "must read before it becomes a film" list I saw on Pinterest. I am a sucker for YA, so I've been working my way down the list.

For anyone reading this, that means you are friends with me and probably know that I am also a sucker for debut novels. I just think there is something about them. A spark. The fame and fortune hasn't touched them yet and their writing shows.

Aysel is a depressed teenager who want to commit suicide, but lacks the guts to do it on her own. She finds a website where you can find "suicide partners" and she decides to contact "FrozenRobot", the kid on the other end of the computer who also wants to kill himself.

The book is about how their relationship unfolds, why they both want to end their own lives, and the power of education, depression, and human connection.

I enjoyed the story, the writing, the characters, and the content. I love any book that spotlights a problem, this one being the depression and suicide in teenagers.

I highly recommend this book, but only for older teens and adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment