Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Ocean at the End of the Lane


This book got great reviews, so I decided to read with without knowing anything about it. Sometimes that works in my favor, as some books are just perfect when you don't know what to expect. This wasn't one of those books.

This was an interesting book. I didn't know it was fantasy until I was into the book. Had I known beforehand, I may have enjoyed the book better. It is an interesting story and fairly entertaining. It's a cross between Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time Ransom Rigg's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children but it's not nearly as good as either of those. It is a very simple book and had almost no explanations to the fantasy. At first I thought maybe it would be good for a child to read, but it's not appropriate for kids.

It's about a man who comes back to his childhood home and remembers a friend he had, Lattie Hempstock and some adventures they had together. The plot is ho hum. The characters are boring. The fantasy is just okay.

I will say that it has a bit of an interesting commentary on human nature, but not complex enough to really make anything of the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment