Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Magician's Assistant



I so badly wanted to love this book. I wanted it to end redemptively. It didn't though. The book was an interesting character study, but just not all that well written, which is a shame since I loved State of Wonder and wanted to jump into another fantastic story.

This book drags on and while I can't call it slow, it's boring. The author tried to keep you interested and while it was a quick read, I still don't like it. Sabine is the magicians assistant and is thrown into depression when her husband (who is the magician and happens to be gay) dies. All though out the novel, her husbands partner and love of his life, Phan, visits her in her dreams. And while I'm all for using dreams to move on in life, I think Patchett tried to hard to make them something they weren't.

All in all, I can't recommend this book. But, I will recommend State of Wonder, by the same author!

No comments:

Post a Comment