Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Slammed and Point of Retreat

 
I am not a trend setter. Never have been; never will be. This is not only true with fashion, but with books. I'm usually not the one to read a book first and then recommend it to my friends. I have a few friends who are big readers (CV, JV, AM) who I usually get my book recs from. Well, I sought  to change that by these books. I decided to look on the New York Best Seller's list and pick a book to read that no one had recommended to me. So, I chose...

Slammed by Colleen Hoover and Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover. The later being the sequel to the former. I'm not even sure how to review these books. Juvenile is the first word that comes to mind. Just okay are the next.

Slammed got good reviews on amazon.com so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't regret the time spent reading it, but it wasn't what I would call a good book. The story was good. The writing was, well. Juvenile. Not good literature. Corny. Predictable.

I'm about to say something that might be divisive. Forgive me if you take offense. These books reminded me a great deal of Nicolas Sparks. I've read only one of his novels (I realize judging an author by one of her books is not fair, but I do think that it's fair in the case of Nicolas Sparks). But Colleen Hoover's books seems to be on par with the easy, somewhat trashy romantic novels.

So, if you like Nicolas Sparks, you'll like these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment