Monday, July 2, 2012

Peony in Love

Peony in Love by Lisa See - read in 2012. Oh how I wanted to love this book. I love two of her other books, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Shanghai Girls. A lot. So when I saw this book, Peony in Love, I decided to read it. Sort of. It was my 1st book on disc experience. And while I liked having someone read to me (ah! So this is what it's like for my girls!), I couldn't get into the book. The first quarter was fantastic. It is  about a girl from China who falls in love with a man even though she is betrothed to someone since birth. 


SPOILER ALERT!!!!! She ends up dieing from love sickness because she has to marry her betrothed and not the man she loves (they actually end up being the same man, but doesn't find out until right before she dies). That part of the story was wonderful. I loved it. Chinese Romeo and Juliet. Then the rest of the book happened. It was all about how Peony's 3 spirits were in 3 different places and how they end up coming together and her spirit ends up together with the man she loves. Weird, right? I thought so too, which is why I didn't finish the book and why I won't recommend it. It's always so sad when a book has such potential, but turns out to be bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment